The Episcopal Church of Christ the King in the Rondout Valley: A Parish History
Our parish ministry began in the 19th century, when three small village churches were founded. St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Stone Ridge was founded first in 1846, as the parish of “2 or 3” Episcopalians who gathered in the neighboring Methodist edifice before a store was converted to the church in 1864. This building has now become the Town of Marbletown Community Center. St. Peter’s went on to establish two nearby missions. All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Rosendale was constructed in 1877, during the time that Rosendale provided cement for the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. This building presently serves as the Town of Rosendale library. St. John’s Episcopal Church, High Falls was built in 1899 near a stop on the Delaware & Hudson Canal and has now become the site of the D&H Canal Society Museum. In the late 1950’s, the Diocese of New York merged the three small parishes, and incorporated the Episcopal Church of Christ the King in the Rondout Valley.
The parish and the Diocese purchased property on Route 213 East in Stone Ridge, and the buildings were dedicated in 1960. The Rev. David Arnold was the first Priest-in-Charge of the newly unified parish, which was initially dependent on the Diocese for much of its support. The Reverends Edmund, Anderson and Rogers followed—spiritual mentors who fostered lay leadership and youth ministry. In 1975, the Rev. John A. Osgood became the first rector, reflecting the ability of the now larger parish to meet its financial obligations. Following Father Osgood, the Rev. Paul Parker spend the last nine years of his priesthood loving us and encouraging our musical traditions. Our third rector, the Rev. Robert Magliula, served with caring and distinction for seventeen years, from 1989 to 2006.
During Father Magliula’s tenure, the parish organized a successful capital campaign, made extensive renovations to the physical plant and constructed a building to house the Rondout Valley Food Pantry, which serves 120 families each month. http://www.rvfoodpantry.org/
Father Magliula introduced our first deacon, the Rev. Deacon Judith Borzumato, and then a second deacon, the Rev. Susan Bonsteel. During their tenure, they initiated a number of important outreach ministries: the Food Pantry, migrant farm worker ministry, prison ministry and adult literacy.
The Rev. C. Allan Ford ably served the parish as interim rector during 2006-2007. At the end of 2007, the parish called the Rev. Alison J. Quin as rector. In keeping with the parish goals identified during the search process, the parish is focusing on deepening our outreach, evangelism and spiritual growth. In 2008, the Rev. Deacon Robin Beveridge joined the parish as our new deacon. In 2014, the Rev. Janet Vincent joined the staff as associate priest.
Christ the King’s current mission statement is: “Christ the King: Growing in Love, Striving for Justice.”